Wednesday, October 11, 2006

each one, teach one...

last week i received an email from a childhood friend. over the years, in all our lives, people come and people go. growing up and moving on is part of our life experiences and the relationships that fall behinds us become part of our memories and our character. i am proud to admit that this friend i speak of is still part of my life, and as adults we are able to talk, email and chat openly and share our, ummmm, shit.

so, this email... it was suggested that i was an inspiring influence. i've heard that a few other times over the past year and as flattering as it is, i am still puzzled as to why...

here is the reply to my curiosity to have this compliment revealed:


you asked me this morning, "why?". why would i write such a message to you and while eloquent in my email when asked, i had no words for explanation even now...

i don't know why. perhaps because you are doing what i wish i would have done perhaps because it wasn't until i sat here trying to discover the "why" that i realized that the most significant loss in my life was also to cancer. unlike you, who fought back i have yet to even accept that it happened. she taught me a lot in her lifetime and one of her lessons was not to leave anything unsaid and that is what brings me to my email to you...


we spend so much time in our lives discussing what we don't want; what makes us unhappy; complaining about things; and allowing others to zap our energy with a single cruel word or even a mindless comment. it makes it that much more important to take the time to tell someone you love them - or at the very least, what they do; to share the good things; and to realize what makes you happy and focus on that. upon reflection, not dealing with a significant loss compounded by the fact that my husband is about to become a police officer perhaps these things combined have caused me to become more appreciative of the little things or perhaps it is simply something that comes with age...

i don't know

i just know it makes me happy to know that what i might say could bring a little joy to someone else and if not, well - it satisfies me to know I've left nothing unsaid. those who are important to me, those who have influenced me, and those who have inspired me... they know how i feel. so i told you. and ill do it again.

what can i say? it made my day and it is a fucking wonderful revelation revealed to her! well said kel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home